MORE THAN 16,000 PEOPLE AGAINST PLANS TO TURN THE LEEDS CORN EXCHANGE INTO A FOOD COURT
Protestors outside the Corn Exchange in Leeds on the 15th of December 2007
OVER 16,000 PEOPLE HAVE GONE OUT OF THEIR WAY TO SAY THAT THEY DO NOT WANT THIS SCHEME AND THAT THEY WANT ZURICH TO CHANGE THEIR MINDS –
- The Facebook Save the Corn Exchange global and local campaigns with supporters both within Leeds and worldwide. To date 11,606 people have joined this campaign.
- The local handsigned petition which has over 3450 signatures.
- An online petition with over 700 signatures
- A letter from academics at the University of Leeds stating that they feel the plan is damaging to the City of Leeds.
- The support of the two Myspace Save the Corn Exchange Campaigns and the Bebo save the Corn Exchange campaign totalling some 400 young people.
- Leeds City Council Officials have said they are very concerned about the plans.
- The Yorkshire Evening Post “Your Views” section has received dozens of letters from members of the public who are furious about the plans – these are available to view online.
- Secretary for the Environment Hilary Benn has given his support to the traders and has written to Zurich on their behalf.